Overview of the Society of St. Vincent De Paul
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) is a Catholic lay organization inspired by Gospel values. Its mission is to lead women and men to join together to grow spiritually by offering person-to-person service to the needy and suffering.
The St. Joseph Cathedral Conference (the common designation of the SVDP organization at the parish level) is part of a network of parish SVDP conferences in the Diocese of Columbus. We are also part of a national network with U.S. headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, and an international network with headquarters in Paris, France where the Society was founded in April 1833 by a group of young students led by Blessed Frederic Ozanam, then 20 years of age. Our Cathedral conference welcomes the participation of as many Vincentians as possible, whether brand new ones or persons who have belonged to another conference in the past. We offer the opportunity to participate in our ongoing group activities which include a monthly lunch for the homeless at the Open Shelter and another for the children at the downtown Salesian Boys and Girls Club. Each fall we coordinate a parish collection of school supplies called Operation First Day and each Christmas we coordinate a parish Giving Tree. There are also opportunities to join individual Vincentians in their ministries which include visits to prisoners, nursing home residents, the sick, and shut-ins. The society receives requests to help individuals in need and works with the Joint Organization for Inner-City Needs (J.O.I.N.) to respond to those needs.
How to Join the Society of St. Vincent De Paul
There are many opportunities for involvement. For as little as 60 minutes a month, you can grow spiritually by offering service to those who are needy and suffering. Participate in outreach programs for St Lawrence Haven, Bryden House Apartments and Joint Organization for Inner City Needs (JOIN). If interested,please contact Kevin Dunleavy at (614) 436-3943 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or come to our monthly meeting at 9:00 AM on the 1st Sunday of the month, year-round, in the Cathedral Undercroft.
Our mission is to join together to grow spiritually by offering person-to-person service to those who are needy and suffering in the tradition of its founder, Blessed Frederic Ozanam, and patron, St Vincent de Paul.
Join us at one of our upcoming events:
- Monthly meeting on 1st Sunday of month. 9 – 10 am in undercroft (take stairs or elevator to undercroft)
- Sandwich making meeting for St Lawrence Haven, who provides a free lunch for those in need. Usually the fourth Sunday of each month in undercroft, 9 –10 AM.
- Provide lunch & fellowship at Bryden House apartments, 1555 Bryden Road, Columbus OH 43205. 2nd Saturday of each month at 10:30 AM
- Friends of the Poor Walk
- Provide Christmas gifts to Bryden Place Nursing Home & Joint Organization for Inner-City Needs (JOIN)
- Opportunity for nursing home & home visits
- Contact Kevin Dunleavy at 614-519-3673 or Kevin.email@example.com with questions